Skip to main content

St Mary's Care Home, Worthing, 1892-1980

 Sub-Series
Identifier: IOLM/BER/9/2

Scope and Contents note

Sub-series consists of correspondence acquired and accumulated by Reverend Mother of Bermondsey Congregation in relation to St Mary's Care Home.

Dates

  • Creation: 1892-1980

Conditions Governing Access note

As a private archive, access to the Institute of Our Lady of Mercy Archive requires application to the Archivist and approval by the Institute's Leadership Team. Where items are closed for access, this is indicated at the appropriate level.

Biographical/Historical note

Towards the end of 1892, the Dowager Duchess of Newcastle Henrietta Adele bought Brandiston Lodge, a house standing in spacious grounds in Westbrooke Road, Worthing. A few months later she purchased the property next door, Novello Cottage. This was in fulfilment of her late husband's wishes who left money for the establishment of a Convalescent Home for poor people.

The Duchess offered the houses to Bishop Butt of Southwark who, in turn, sought the help of the Bermondsey Sisters for the project. An agreement was fully drawn up between the Duchess of Newcastle, Bishop Butt and M. Camillus Dempsey RSM whereby the Duchess placed £5000 in the Bank towards the payment of repairs, Rates, taxes and servants wages. A Condition of the Agreement was that "the Home was intended for the poor, and no persons of a different class should be received into it, except in cases approved by the superior."

From 1893, the Sisters assigned to the mission in Worthing were kept very busy seeing to the needs of the poor. The proper conduct of St Mary's Home was the responsibility of the Sisters and the Bishop was given the right to alter the original conditions. Accommodation was provided for a minimum of 60 patients, the men paying a weekly fee of 12/6d and the women 8/-. A new wing added in 1895, increasing sleeping accommodation and dining and sitting room facilities. The cost of the building was borne by the Duchess, and both she and the Bishop were present for the opening of the new wing. About this time, the Town Planning council rejected a proposal by the Community for the building of a house, near the Home, for the exclusive use of the Sisters and the children in their care.

During the First World War (1939-1945), St Mary's Home was placed at the service of the military authorities and as many as 75 soldiers were billeted there, with the Sisters looking after meals and sleeping accommodation. Later, the Home served as a hospital for wounded soldiers but was returned to the Sisters at the end of the war and became once more a Convalescent Home and a Holiday Home for Sisters and the elderly. In 1920 the Home received a ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ from the War Office, signed by Sir Winston Churchill.

Throughout the intervening decades, St Mary’s Home provided a service of care and compassion to the sick and the needy, and maintained a high standard of administration so was not daunted by any of the requirements of the 1984 Registered Homes Act. In order to obtain space required for updating parts of the building, and to give privacy to an increased Community, two semi-detached houses (backing on to the Home and facing on to Salisbury Road) were purchased and converted into a Convent into which the Sisters moved in 1991. There are always Priests (retired) in the Home so that Sisters and residents enjoy the privilege of daily Mass.

In 1983, the Bermondsey Congregation formed part of the new Institute of Our Lady of Mercy. A former branch house of Bermondsey, from 1983 Worthing became an independent community as a member of the Institute.

Full Extent

1 file

Language of Materials

English

Repository Details

Part of the Bermondsey Convent of Mercy Repository

Contact:
Convent of Mercy
Parker's Row
London SE1 2DQ
020 7237 1098